Friday, March 12, 2010

Starbucks

Being mormon, I don't drink coffee.

But I'm sitting in a local Starbucks drinking a Vanilla Creme and eating an overpriced cranberry scone. Why? Because I can. And because I'm supporting them for not caving to The Brady Thugs.

And yes, I have my gun on me. CC'ing of course. I'm not so much for Open Carry.

Last week I was in Southern Utah for some camping/shooting. I drove up from Vegas where I was at a conference and spent 3 days east of St. George camping and shooting on BLM lands. I brought my 9mm Glocks and the 22 conversion kit for my Glock 17. Put over 1000 rounds thru the latter and finally stopped when I had a bizzare issue.

It seems that the 22 shells sometimes don't always go into battery and the Advantage Arms kit sill lets the firing pin (they are still called firing pins on rimfires, no?) impact the cartridge.

Result? A funny boom and a nice hot spray of something or other on my face. Good thing for safety glasses.

The shell blew out just above the rim, a nice bit hole. The bullet did exit the gun, but it was pretty disconcerting, so I stopped shooting the kit until I chat with them. No damage to the gun that I can see.

I have a picture of the shell, so I'll post it.

Other than that, I had a ball. Just me, out in the desert shooting. I built a target stand and shot paper plates all day. Did movement drills, drawing drills, shooting with on-gun lights and flashlights in the hand. I shot and shot and shot.

Turns out, I'm pretty good at drawing and shooting. At 7-15 yards I can it a paper plate 99% of the time. Good enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment